Tuesday 28 August 2012

An Unsung Hero…


            Today I was thrust into a situation that I was completely and utterly unprepared for. I was told that I would be going to work at an afterschool program so that I could start getting some volunteer hours in now since primary school has not started yet. I had no idea what I was going to be doing, the only thing I knew was that there would be a woman at the office to take me wherever I was supposed to be going. I recognized her as the same person that told us about her basket weaving class that she does with the kids. Her name is Beatrice. I immediately assumed that I would be doing something of that sort. WRONG!!! We get to her house and she says, “So what are you going to teach them today?” I was shocked. She told me I could teach them anything, math, English, etc. About 15 minutes of rummaging through a small supply of books and struggling to come up with something to teach, the square yard out front was set up with benches and a board. Out of nowhere I had around 20 young Ghanaian children all around me! I was super lost. The children were anywhere from 3 to 14 and some of them did not understand me very well.
            Long story short, I used some of the older kids to help me with the little ones and I went through some basic topics like the alphabet, vowels, sounds, and very simple sentences. Towards the end I read them 3 different stories. Teaching a large group with everyone at different levels is so tough, especially when I’m not good at their first language. After 3 hours I was so exhausted. I found out that Beatrice started the program at her home with the help of another woman (who is foreign) about 3 years ago. The neighborhood is very poor and none of the parents can really afford to send their kids to school. So, they started the program to be bale to give the parents a safe place where their children could go to learn and play. The bad part is that Beatrice runs this program on her own with the help her two sons (one of which I know is a senior in high school) and her sisters because the other woman no longer lives there. I spoke to her briefly on the phone and she wished me well for the duration of my stay in Ghana.

            I am stuck in a very hard position because this place is not my permanent internship location but I really want to help. However, I don’t know if I have the skills or the creativity to do a good job teaching. I know I have to do something, whether I try to go once a week or encourage some other students to go in my place. Beatrice is a strong woman with a good heart…. She just wants the best for her community.  She told me that she doesn’t really care if I make up games for them to play or take them to the lot to play soccer. She just wants them to enjoy being there. Even though the program is needs a lot of help, I see Beatrice as an unsung hero. Her program has so much potential. Looking at those children today all I kept thinking about is how much I wanted to help them, yet I felt so helpless. I will definitely be seeing them again.

Nante Yie (Goodbye!)

Comments? Questions? Concerns?
(I will be going to Kumasi this weekend so look out for the post!)





No comments:

Post a Comment