Thursday 23 August 2012

Just An Overview...




So I’ve already been in Ghana for almost 3 weeks! But like we always say, things are better late than never. I’ve done a lot but there is still much more to see and do! I’m here at The University of Ghana, Legon with a program called CIEE, Council on International Educational Exchange, which provides a large amount support while we’re here.  We stayed in a hotel for the first two nights here, we had a scavenger hunt, moved in on campus, and class has begun! I am taking 4 courses and an internship for credit in which I will be teaching in a primary school. Here’s a quick summary of points I wanted to share thus far:


·      Registration is very slow process here, makes me appreciate Georgetown
·      The campus is hugeee.
·      There aren’t many sidewalks around
·      I’ve never done so much walking in my life, but I’ll have great legs by the time I leave.
·      Everyday travel is done by taxi, but you have to bargain to get a good price, or tro-tro.
·      You can always bargain in the markets as well for almost everything but food
·      There are places to get your hair braided everywhere
·      We are now in the rainy season which is relatively cool
·      Most of the food we eat is veryy spicy
·      Nightlife is great so far
·      I must hand-wash all clothes or pay for someone else to do it
·      No hot running water
·      Mosquitoes haven’t been bad, they usually are out more at night than during the day. I sleep under a mosquito net (it’s quite cozy)
·      Idk how people come to Africa and lose weight. There’s food everywhere!
·      Ghana is a Christian nation, and any foreign person would know that just by walking down the street

In any case, Ghana is a beautiful country with a great spirit. People here are very kind and there’s a strong sense of community.  For those concerned with my safety, Ghana is the most stable country in West Africa, with a political system similar to that of the U.S. In fact, there are plenty Ghanaians that follow U.S. politics better than most Americans. I hope I didn’t leave out anything important. I hope to post about twice a week. I have so much to say! So Keep Reading!

Medaase Paa (Thank You Very Much!)


The Night Market

A scene from Makola Market

Makola Again



No comments:

Post a Comment